Now, the recipe calls for fresh corn on the cob but I opted to use part of a package of a frozen corn I have from Trader Joe's. I imagine that fresh corn would make this dish even better. The combination of corn, orzo, scallions and parmesan created the tastiest side dish. It's hard to describe the exact flavor as there was the sweetness of the corn with the bit of the sharpness from the Parmesan that was simply addicting. EVERYONE loved it! There was maybe 1 tablespoon of it left after everyone had gone back for more and more. This is the second recipe I have made from this cookbook and I know I'll be making more. This is also a perfect recipe to submit to Sweetnicks for the weekly ARF 5 a Day round-up!
Our main dish tonight was baked chicken seasoned with Penzey's Northwoods Seasoning. This seasoning is a blend of paprika, thyme, rosemary and chipotle. The smokiness of the chipotle really comes through. We had some left over and will be using it to top salads for lunch tomorrow. Overall, tonight's dinner was a hit with everyone, and I really can't ask for more!
Orzo with Toasted Corn and Scallions
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided (I used a little less - probably 2 1/2 tablespoons)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernals, cut from 2 large ears corn (I subbed frozen organic corn from Trader Joe's)
- 2 small scallions, white & green parts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook according to package instructions. Drain in a wire sieve, rinse under cold water. Then, toss with the extra virgin olive oil and set aside.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook until the corn is lightly toasted - about 5-6 minutes (taste to make sure it's heated if using frozen corn).
- Stir in the scallions and cook about 1 minute, then add the orzo and remaining butter. Cook, stirring all together for about 1 minute.
- Transfer to a serving dish, then stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.