Salmon Cakes, Patties, Croquettes... all pretty much the same thing
Growing up, there were a number of things My Mom made that I always enjoyed. A good number of them were fried, and boy were they delicious. I try not to fry too many things these days, or at least lighten them in some way. One thing I always loved were Salmon Cakes. Those patties were my first introduction to salmon back then.
I've wanted to make them for awhile so I could introduce My Boys to them. In my searching, I realized that they have many names: Salmon Cakes, Patties or Croquettes. The recipes are similar with only minor differences. I found a recipe in Ellie Krieger's, The Food You Crave, and ended up modifying it to accomodate what I had on hand. I also, don't care for cilantro so I knew that wouldn't work for me or my boys. I needed to make it simple in order to make it closer to how I remembered it. I also didn't want to add a lot of unusual flavors that would turn off the younger members of the family. I made breadcrumbs from some whole wheat white bread that I always have on hand and chopped up some scallions to add a little bit of color. This went together quickly and easily. If you have canned salmon in the pantry, you most likely have everything else in the pantry for this quick and simple dinner.
Overall, they were well-liked by everyone tonight. My Oldest managed to eat 2 or 3 of them on his own, and we ended up with just one leftover when dinner was finished. Even My Youngest enjoyed them and I got a thumb's up from him. I'll be keeping these ingredients on hand so that I can throw this together for a quick dinner.
- 4 slices whole grain sandwich bread
- 24 ounce can pink salmon, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 scallions, chopped - green parts only
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cut the crusts off the bread and then pulse in a food processor until you have a fine crumb.
- In a medium bowl, break up the salmon with a fork. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Add the bread crumbs and scallions mix until combined.
- Form the salmon mixture into 8-10 salmon patties. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 5 patties to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Once complete, remove and set aside - keep warm, while cooking the remaining patties.