When I found her new book, a few things appealed to me right away. First, she always focuses on the healthy aspect and not denying yourself treats. It's all about balance with her cookbooks. Another thing that I love is that her recipes are easy to read and follow - the steps are nicely laid out and make sense. Finally, there are many photos in her cookbooks (this is the 3rd book I've purchased of hers), and that is a major selling point when I may be on the fence with a recipe that I'm not too sure about upon just reading the description. There is so much truth in the saying that you "eat with your eyes first".
I made a few changes to the recipe based on what I had on hand and what I figured my family would enjoy. We are hot and cold with whole wheat pasta, so I tend not to keep in on hand. I figure with the additional veggies in the dish, it all works out fine in the end, for us anyway. If you have a whole wheat pasta that you like, by all means use that instead!
The recipe is pretty close to the 30 minute promise the book title suggests. Of course, this does assume that you do a little prepping to get started... I like spending time assembling my ingredients while the pasta water begins to boil. It keeps me on task so that I don't forget anything once I start cooking.
The flavor in this dish was absolutely delicious! Another plus with recipes that Ellie creates... they are full of flavor while still leaning toward the healthier side of things - tons of protein and fiber in this dish to keep you satisfied, too.
Disclosure: The link for the cookbook will take you to Amazon, where you can find out more about the book and even purchase it. If you purchase through my link, I will receive a small fee as a result of the purchase. Thank you!
Chicken with Chicken and Veggies
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound chicken breast halves (approximately 2), sliced thinly
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, vertically sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 sun-dried tomato halves, sliced thinly
- 2 1/2 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta is cooking, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add the sliced chicken and allow to cook until lightly browned; remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the mushrooms and onion to the hot oil and cook until the juices have cooked out of the mushrooms. Add the garlic, thyme and sage and allow to cook for about a minute.
- Next, add the chicken growth and bring to a boil; allow to reduce by about half.
- Add the red pepper flakes, sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Finally, add the pasta, chicken and spinach and stir to combine; cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour into a serving bowl, and sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.