Luckily, we were able to rearrange our dinners the last month or so to accommodate spring sports and even though that season has come to a conclusion, keeping dinner quick and easy is still ideal. Our Boys are wanting to be outside doing something in the evenings and My Husband and I enjoy our walks around the neighborhood.
For a night when we aren't super hungry, but still need something to fill the bellies, these quick and easy nachos fit the bill! A bonus is that we split pre-cooked taco shells in half so that each one is it's own nacho.... you can customize the toppings to each person's favorites.
When My Husband was doing all of the cooking a couple of months ago (while I recovered from a pinched nerve), he came up with an excellent way to use up leftovers from taco night and get dinner on the table super fast for the boys. As a result of his ingenuity, we now keep the ingredients on hand (just in case we don't have taco night leftovers) so that we can make nachos after a busy day.
The recipe is just a guideline, feel free to adjust to what you like and what ingredients you have on hand.
- 12 pre-cooked taco shells
- 1/2 cup fat-free refried beans
- 1/2 cup pre-cooked beef taco meat
- 2-3 tablespoons diced green chilis
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar and monterrey jack cheese mixture
- 2-3 tablespoons sliced black olives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place taco shells on aluminum foil covered baking sheet. Bake for 3-5 minutes - just until heated. Remove from oven and carefully break each shell in half, making 2 half moon pieces.
- Top each taco shell piece either with a few tablespoons of refried beans or taco meat (or a combination of the two together).
- Next top with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese, followed by a few pieces of diced chili peppers and black olives.
- Place baking sheet back in the oven for approximately 5 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.