As I was looking for ideas on Pinterest - one of my favorite places to look for inspiration on so many different subjects (you can follow me there at Famfriendsfood). I am also discovering some fabulous blogs that I never would have found otherwise!
When I was searching for some lunch time ideas for My Boys, I came across Inside BruCrew Life. This lovely blog written by Jocelyn is filled with treats and photos that make you want to get into the kitchen and bake! I've got a number of recipes I'm bookmarking that will be added to my "to try" list!
The recipe that caught my eye on Pinterest was her Pizza Pinwheels.
The idea of sending pizza inspired pinwheels in the lunch box appealed to me right away! You can (and should) make them ahead of time and then all you have to do is put a few in a container with a freezer pack into the lunch box in the morning.
I made them a little differently from Jocelyn's original recipe due to what I know My Boys will enjoy. I can see so many possibilities that you can change up the flavors and ingredients, which will make lunch less of a routine and more fun to make (and eat!).
Now, if you don't have lunch boxes to pack each day, don't worry! You can still enjoy these bite-size nibbles while watching football on Sunday or having friends over to hang out on the weekend. I won't tell if you decide to indulge in them on a weekday instead of dinner... as you know by now, I'm all over appetizers for dinner!
For the original recipe, please visit Inside BruCrew Life. Below is the recipe with my changes.
Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend (I use Penzey's Tuscan Sunset)
- 1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh tomatoes diced (can use canned tomatoes, but I'd recommend the petite diced tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup sliced pepperoni, cut into quarters
- 3 8-inch flour tortillas
- Combine the cream cheese, yogurt and seasonings until smooth in a medium bowl. Add the shredded cheeses, and combine thoroughly.
- Spread 1/3 of the mixture on one flour tortilla - completely to the edges. Sprinkle tomatoes and pepperoni evenly over the cream cheese mixture.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and make sure it "seals". Repeat for other 2 tortillas.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut into bite-size pieces and serve.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.