I had the pleasure having enjoy the company of friends twice in one week... Which was such a bright spot in the cold days of winter!
Can I tell you that after spending time in the last month or so with various friends either for lunch or these get-togethers what a difference it has made in the way I am enjoying this season? I've not made it a secret that I'm counting down the days to spring... but, staying social has made the season so much more bearable! I think in the past, I've had a tendency to hibernate in the cold months and only socialize when I run into people at the grocery store.
Quick visits are nice and all, but taking the time to hang out and spend time with other people makes a big difference. I'll be continuing to make hanging out with friends a priority since it has made my least favorite season so much more enjoyable!
This layered dip is not new to anyone, but I changed it up a little bit because of what I had on hand once I decided to make it... strangely (or maybe not so strange), I tend to have all of these ingredients on hand pretty much all of the time. So, this can be a last minute appetizer to serve or bring to someone's house to share.
What is your favorite appetizer to make and share with friends?
5 Layer Mexican Dip
- 15 ounce can fat-free refried beans
- 8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (I like to use Penzey's Original Taco Seasoning)
- 4 ounces guacamole (I used Trader Joe's prepared guacamole, but you can make your own with great results)
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup salsa (use your favorite kind)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp chedder cheese
- Spread the refried beans on the bottom of your serving plate.
- Mix the cream cheese and taco seasoning in a bowl until well blended. Gently spread on top of the refried beans, making sure to leave a little bit of the beans showing.
- Next, spread the guacamole on top of the cream cheese mixture - again, leave a bit of the previous layer showing.
- Spread the salsa on top of the guacamole - continuing to leave a bit of the previous layer showing.
- Finally, add the shredded cheese on top. Each layer should be showing for a nice effect. Chill until ready to serve.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.