To say this ice cream didn't last long in my freezer is the understatement of the year. I think we got 2 nights of desserts out of it before we were scraping the bowl for the last remnants of the chocolatey goodness.
The crushed Whoppers are key to taking the flavor to the next level... just enough crunchiness combined with the creamy ice cream that you can't help but want to go back for more!
What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?
Chocolate Malt Ball Ice Cream
Source: PatsyK Original
- 9 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar (this is in addition to the other 1/2 cup already mentioned)
- 1/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ounces of Whoppers (chocolate malt balls), crushed
- In a large glass bowl, combine egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugard. Whisk together and set aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine whole milk, heavy cream, 1/2 cup sugar, malted milk powder and cocoa powder. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil.
- Once the milk mixture is at a rolling boil, turn off heat and pour about 1/3 of it into the egg mixture - whisking constantly to temper the eggs.
- Pour the warmed egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk to combine. Add the salt and vanilla extract, stirring to combine.
- Pour all of the mixture into a glass bowl. Allow to cool, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (8 or more is ideal).
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
- Mix in the chopped Whoppers stirring to ensure they are well-distributed. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until it is set enough for scooping.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.