Sometimes kids have the best ideas! This particular meal is something I make quite often at home - it's quick, easy and everyone loves it. So, when My Youngest asked if we could take them with us to have for dinner at the pool, I wasn't sure how it would work out.
Since I didn't want to disappoint My Boys, I made them and then packaged them into the wraps and used aluminum foil to wrap them up and keep them warm for the short drive over to the pool.
This turned out to be such a great way to take dinner with us, and allowed each of My Boys to jump in the pool and come eat when they were hungry. The nice part was that evening the pool was not terribly busy, so we had it mostly to ourselves. Each of My Boys came over to eat and with the quiet of the pool, having a bit of dinner together allowed us to have some really good conversations.
I think that is at the heart of why I want us to have dinner together as often as we do. What seems to happen is while you are eating dinner, things come up in conversation that don't when we are just hanging out together. Parts of their day get shared with us, and they even ask us how our days were... it's the sharing and spending time together that I think will ensure that they have fond memories one day of the meals we shared together.
These also made a great addition to the lunchbox this week! I never had thought of packaging them up and sending them along, but My Youngest insisted that he wanted to take one with him to camp... and, he totally devoured it! I'm going to have to work on some more wraps so that he can have them for lunch... he's not much of a traditional sandwich kind of boy.
With the summer months, do you find that you are having dinner in different places as a family? Perhaps out on the deck or patio? Or maybe a picnic during a family hike?
Southwestern Chicken Wraps
Source: Patsyk Original
- 2-3 chicken breast halves, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, vertically sliced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (I prefer Penzey's Original Taco Seasoning)
- 1/2 cup water
- Large flour tortillas
- shredded sharp chedder cheese
- Sour cream, chopped scallions, shredded lettuce (all optional additions that are great with this meal)
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until just done. Remove chicken from pan and drain the oil from the pan.
- Add the red and green bell peppers and the red onion and saute until just starting to soften.
- Add the chicken back to the pan, as well as, the seasoning and water. Mix to ensure it is thoroughly combined and bring to a low boil - cook until most of the liquid has reduced to almost nothing (about 5-8 minutes).
- To serve, place about a 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture in the middle of a flour tortilla, then add the shredded chedder (about 1 tablespoon). If you want to add the additional add-ins mentioned above, add them at this point. Then roll the tortilla and serve.
As written, it will make about 4-6 wraps.
Merrell has chosen these 10 amazing bloggers to host a giveaway on their site. Make sure you stop by for a chance to win some great Merrell Products. From city streets to mountain trails and everywhere in between, we are impressed by Merrell’s passion!
- Blueberry Muffins by Magnolia Days
- Korean Ribs – Alaska Camping Edition with MrsMamaHen
- Fresh Corn on the Cob by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hearts of Palm Salad with Avocado by Basic n Delicious
- Shallot BBQ Shredded Beef by Juanita’s Cocina
- Taking #SundaySupper Outdoors With a Fun Picnic…Featuring Spicy Pinto and Black Bean Salad with Roasted Corn and Avocado by The Weekend Gourmet
- On Top of Our Game with Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bars by The Watering Mouth
- Chicken & Dumplings Around the Campfire by Daily Dish Recipes
- Wine & Food Festivals; a lifestyle the whole family can enjoy! by Wine Everyday
- Outdoor Grilling Filipino Rice Cakes in Coconut & Banana Leaves by The Queen’s Notebook
- Embracing Old Family Traditions while creating New Ones ~ Enchiladas de Chile y Ajo by Girlichef
- The Embassy´s Nut Crescents by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Chicken Curry Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Prosecco Sangria by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Grilled Campfire Steak with Bleu Cheese Sauce by The Messy Baker
- Bringing #SundaySupper to All by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey Mustard Baked Beans by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- S’mores Brownies: Desserts Make #SundaySupper by Mama Mommy Mom
- Tandoori Salmon Rolled in Whole Wheat Couscous by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Whole Wheat Macaroni with Spinach Pecan Pesto-Enjoying by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Southwestern Chicken Wraps Fam Friends Food
- Ahi Tuna Salad Family Style Family Foodie
- Wines For The Foods That Move You ENOFYLZ
You might want to say hello to our friends at Merrell too: www.merrell.com
Or connect with them on Twitter @merrelloutside and Facebook www.facebook.com/merrell
Check them out on You Tube
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.