I must say that he has a knack for adapting recipes as he cooks. The only downfall is getting the exact instructions from him afterward! I did manage to do that, so that I can share the recipe with you.
The soup was everything a thick tomato-based soup should be... full of flavor, which was perfect for sopping up with the slices of bread he thought to pick up, full of veggies and some bits of chicken and cannellini beans for protein.
This soup reheated so well that we ate it for lunch for a couple of days and even had it for leftovers one night for dinner. Yep, I'll be asking him to repeat this recipe again and again this winter.
It was such a treat to have this soup for lunch last week! It reheated so nicely and I knew it was filled with such healthy ingredients that I couldn't help feeling good about enjoying it again and again!
Hearty Vegetable Soup
Source: Hubby of PatsykIngredients
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ounces pancetta, minced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried pasta
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large carrots sliced
- 2 chicken breasts – diced
- 8 ounce package of fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, pancetta, garlic and chicken. Allow to cook about 10 minutes; stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, sage, red pepper flakes, spinach and salt and pepper. Cook over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the beans, pasta and Parmesan cheese. Cook for an additional 10 minutes.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.