I even had this idea in my head as to what I wanted to top my pizza with.... sauteed mushrooms, carmelized onions and gorgonzola cheese.
The weather was not on my side since I don't grill in the rain. I had to relocate the pizza to the oven instead. That's ok, we still made the best of it.
One of the best things about making pizza is that the kids can get in on the action. I let them choose their toppings and make their own personal pizzas.
My Youngest opted for a traditional pepperoni pizza - but, he prefers the mini pepperoni because he says it's not as "spicy".
As you can see, it baked up beautifully... and it doesn't hurt that he topped it with plenty of mozzarella. The only problem I seem to have with making pizza at home is getting the crust rolled out thin enough. This time, I tried poking the dough with a fork to create "holes" - but, it still puffed up. I'm on a search for a thin crust pizza dough, so if you've got a tried and true recipe - send it my way!
Now, for my pizza... oh, this was goooooood... seriously, amazing. The tanginess of the gorgonzola mixed with the sweetness of the carmelized onions... then the earthiness of those mushrooms. Yep, this is my new favorite pizza!
Gorgonzola, Carmelized Onion & Mushroom Pizza
- 1/2 of a medium onion, vertically sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- pizza dough (purchased from the grocery, or homemade)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat pizza stone in oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat, then add the onions. Allow to cook until golden brown.
- In a non-stick skillet, saute mushrooms until liquid has come out of them and they are softened.
- Divide dough (if you are making more than one pizza) into 4 equal portions. Roll out to desired pizza thickness and pierce with a fork. Place on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel.
- Brush with the remaining olive oil. Add the gorgonzola then top with a sprinkling of mushrooms and onions.
- Gently slide the pizza onto the pre-heated pizza stone in the oven.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the cheese is melted.