I had the pleasure of meeting Jennie of In Jennie's Kitchen almost 2 years ago when she invited me to attend the Scharffenberger Chocolate Tasting at the French Culinary Institute... which featured Jacques Pepin. Still one of my most favorite food blogger events to this day! Since that time, I've kept in touch with her via Twitter and Facebook, and of course, through her blog. About a year ago, she posted a Carmelized Onion Dip that I've been thinking about ever since.
I've always loved the way carmelized onions become so sweet and really quite addictive. So, when I needed to bring something to Bunco this week, I looked in the fridge and decided this would be my contribution to the nibbles!
I did have to make a couple of changes to the recipe based on what I had on hand... didn't realize that I didn't have enough sour cream so, I swapped that for 8 ounces of reduced fat cream cheese. I actually started with only 4 ounces, but found that the Greek yogurt was a bit strong for my tastes so I added the additional 4 ounces of cream cheese. I liked the additional creaminess that it added to it.
Overall, this dip got rave reviews by everyone who tried it! I'm even making it again for Super Bowl Sunday! You can serve it with chips or entertaining crackers... or if you want to be really virtuous, serve it with carrot sticks, cucumbers and celery. Depends on your mood and the crowd you are serving.
The link to the original recipe at In Jennie's Kitchen is above where the recipe name appears. Be sure to check out her blog, it's full of wonderful recipes that she thoroughly tests before sharing.
Here are some other fantastic ideas for food to serve at your Super Bowl Party:
- Recipegirl compiled her own list of the best recipes from around the internet HERE.
- Picky Palate has a fabulous list of her favorite recipes that range from savory nibbles to the sweets everyone craves by half time!
- Head over to Aggie's Kitchen to find some Spicy Pistachios to serve along with the cold beer tomorrow.
- Dine & Dish suggests Fish & Chips for a change from the average Super Bowl Food... and it looks incredible!
- Janet at LaDue & Crew has my mouth watering with her Crispy Chorizo Bites... I'm loving that she used Puff Pastry to make them! Yum!
Enjoy the game, no matter who you are rooting for... my team, sadly, couldn't get through the playoffs this year... so, I'm all about the commercials, half time AND THE FOOD!
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.