Note: I received a review copy of the cookbook I share in this post. All opinions are my own.Looking for a salad that you can make on the weekend and have ready for healthy, quick and easy lunches? Then you are going to love this recipe!
When I was asked if I'd like to check out The Age GRACEfully Cookbook, I was intrigued. I have done a lot of reading into different ways of eating healthfully the last couple of years and am always looking for new ways of making recipes healthier and part of a cleaner eating style.
Grace O, the author, focuses on what she calls Foodtrients. Put into plain and simple English... her recipes are all based on wholesome foods that have all of the nutrients our bodies need to be healthy. Nothing too "science-y" in this book, but some good information on how the foods you eat can make you feel better and help you stay healthy longer.
The cookbook has some lovely photos, a key to making me want to try recipes I'm not so sure of at first. It has a variety of ingredients, which can easily be found in most well-stocked supermarkets. The recipes are easy to follow and well-written... no procedures that the average home cook can't master easily.
Since I'm thinking about healthy lunches that I can take to work as the weather gets cooler and I may not want to step out of the office to go home for lunch as often, I was drawn to the Apple Barley Salad. This salad has an amazing combination of textures in it and it is combined with the Honey-Lime Dressing, which has great flavor and can be used as a regular salad dressing on greens or even as a marinade for grilled chicken.
Apple Barley Salad with Hone-Lime Dressing
Recipe shared with permission. I added my changes to the ingredients in parentheses.
- 1 cup cooked barley
- 1/2 cup corn kernels (I left them out)
- 2 2/3 cups chopped apples, peels on
- 2 tablespoons scallions (I left these out)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (I diced them)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice (about 1-2 limes)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt to taste
- Rinse barley in cold water to separate the grains.
- In a large bowl, mix together the barley, corn, apples, scallions, carrot and raisins. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, honey, olive oil, chili powder and sea salt and whisk to combine.
- Add the dressing to the barley mixture and toss to combine.