One thing the colder weather always does is make me want comfort food. That can come in many different forms... warm chocolate chip cookies from the oven, fried pasta, chili, braised short ribs, baked macaroni & cheese... anything that comes piping hot from the oven and generally doesn't feel like "healthy food" does the trick for me.
Since I really do try to do the healthy eating the majority of the time, when the mood strikes that comfort food is in order I refuse to feel guilty for enjoying it.
One night last week, I started prepping dinner and then My Husband took over and finished the cooking. This allowed me time to work with the boys on some homework and listen to each of them as they practiced for band.
When My Youngest asked what we were having, he made a simple request that the pasta be shells and that they be fried. When we make the sausage and pasta dish we usually do farfalle... and it doesn't crisp up quite as nice as the shells do, so we tried something a little different.
Not that you can tell from the photo, but there were some sliced green and red bell peppers and sweet onion as well. I love sautéing them up when we are doing a meal like this... and it's really a simple meal, but satisfies so perfectly.
This is a dish that does require patience... and that is why My Husband is the one who makes it. I have a tendency to want to go and stir and check on how things are cooking. He steps away and waits... and the sausage gets nice and browned... and the pasta gets perfectly crispy. Seriously, you will want to make this soon... once you have had crunchy pasta tossed with sautéed peppers and onions and browned sausage... you'll wonder why you haven't thought to make it before now!
What's your favorite comfort food?
Don't forget to enter my Shutterfly Giveaway on THIS post!
Fried Pasta and Sausage
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, vertically sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 pound sweet sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1/2 pound medium shells, cooked per package directions and drained
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet. Add sausage and allow to cook until browned.
- If needed, add additional tablespoon of oil and the red bell pepper, green bell pepper and onion to the skillet and allow to cook until softened.
- Add the drained pasta to the skillet and sprinkle with paprika. Allow to cook until it is browned and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.