My family loves soft tacos, so when I found one of my bookmarked recipes, Mexican Chicken in Soft Tacos in my Pressure Cooking for Everyone book. Since I've had this marked for quite awhile, I'll be submitting this post to Pam at Sidewalk Shoes who is hosting the upcoming week's Bookmarked Recipes event. This is a great cookbook to get if you are new to pressure cooking. Each recipe is well-written and foolproof. This recipe is a mild enough to be kid-friendly, but the spice could be kicked up a notch if you are up for that.
I served the chicken and vegetable mixture on whole wheat tortillas with an assortment of additions. I loved the addition of diced avocado mixed with the cheese, sour cream and salsa. It really complimented the chicken. This was a huge hit with my family, which was clear by the lack of leftovers I had when we finished dinner.
If you are looking for Mexican themed dinners for the family, check out these sites:
Jenny at Picky Palate has created another winner with her Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada.
Prudence Pennywise shows us how to make Grilled Flank Steak Tacos for only $10!!!!
Tanya at Sunday Baker has found the key to making her son happy and his friend's when they come for dinner - a Taco Ring!
Mexican Chicken in Soft Tacos
Source: Pressure Cooking For Everyone
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick half moons
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I subbed chicken breasts instead)
- In a 5 to 7-quart pressure cooker, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion through cumin. Cook, stirring often, until onion becomes softened. Stir in the water, add chicken seasoned with salt and pepper. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure of high heat. Adjust the heat to maintain the pressure. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and quick-release the pressure. Open the lid, tilting it away from you to block any escaping steam. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Using a large knife, coarsely chop the chicken and add to serving bowl. Add the vegetables to the chicken and thoroughly mix together.