I had put together a meal plan for the week and this was a recipe I had wanted to make because it had some amazing spices in the rub and the maple glaze sounded pretty good... a nice contrast that should please everyone.
The rub has a combination of paprika, salt, cumin, black pepper and cinnamon. I thought this was a great starting point for our dinner.
I love when a variety of spices come together to make something delicious... it kind of justifies my trips to Penzey's!
The only problem with the original recipe was that the maple glaze didn't come together for me. It could have just been an off night or something. So, rather than use something that just didn't seem to be working, I opted to use a combination of our favorite bbq sauce and some honey to glaze the chicken.
This is one of those dishes that once you've made it a couple of times, you'll be throwing it together without even thinking about it. We all need a few of those in our back-pocket when we get home from a beyond stressful day doesn't turn into a "fend for yourself" kind of night for the family. I've had a few of those nights where I've wanted to do that lately, but somehow we've managed to get dinner on the table and it's been pretty good most of the time.
A well-stocked pantry is also key for these kind of nights... as long as you are well-stocked, you can pull together a good meal no matter what kind of day it's been. We prefer to keep our dining out to the weekends so, it's important that I get my weekly shopping trip in on Sunday mornings. Yes, I do head out and face the masses of people who are out on Sunday mornings... which, is much better than later in the day!
I'd love to hear what you make on those crazy days to feed your family (or yourself!). Quick and easy is so key to weeknights for me that I'm careful in selecting recipes to make during the week.
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup prepared bbq sauce
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare a baking pan by covering in aluminum foil.
- Combine paprika, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cumin in a small bowl. Rub the mixture over both sides of each chicken breast. Place chicken on prepared baking pan.
- Place chicken in the oven on a rack in the upper third of the oven. While chicken is baking combine the bbq sauce and honey.
- Once chicken has baked for 15 minutes, remove from oven and brush the glaze on each chicken breast. Bake for another 5 minutes, then brush again with the glaze and bake for 5 more minutes, or until fully cooked.
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.