Tonight's post is going to be a bit short since I was up late last night watching the election returns. I must say that I am happy that the election is finished. I've had enough of the commercials and the pundits. Saturday Night Live and Tina Fey made the last few weeks so much more bearable though.
Last weekend, I picked up some whole wheat pizza dough because I thought I could make a simple dinner one night this week. Rather than make pizza, calzones sounded better to me. This dinner was done in 30 minutes, and there wasn't even a crumb left. We dipped them in marinara sauce and they were so delicious! Whenever you need a meal that doesn't require a lot of preparation.
Check out Dine and Dish and see how Kristen made Barbeque Chicken Calzones! These calzones are are to satisfy everyone at your dinner table.
- Whole wheat pizza dough (enough for 2 pies)
- 6 links sweet turkey sausage, casings removed
- Penzey's Pizza seasoning
- 8 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and liquid squeezed out
- about 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cover baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add turkey sausage and break-up into small pieces as it cooks. Once fully cooked, drain and place in a medium bowl. Add spinach to the sausage and mix well.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces. Flatten and stretch each piece into a circular shape. Add about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the sausage mixture to the center of the the dough. Add a healthy sprinkle of mozzarella over the sausage. Then fold it over and pinch to seal. Cut 2 to 3 slits in the top of the calzone. Brush with olive oil. Repeat with all pieces of dough.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Serve with warmed marinara sauce.